Conwy Suspension Bridge is the most successful design of Thomas Telford's six 'Gothic' bridges.
Now closed to vehicular traffic, it is flanked by a modern road bridge and by Robert Stephenson's iron box railway bridge. All cross the River Conwy near its mouth. Built between 1821 and 1826 it juts in the shape of a draw-bridge from below the castle’s terrace, showing a respectful deference to the medieval architecture.
An exhibition in the Toll-keeper’s House depicts how trade and travel brought Conwy to life and how a husband and wife kept Thomas Telford's bridge open every day of the year, whatever the weather.